Central Dorset Citizens Advice is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN617586).

If you are not happy with the service or advice you receive you have the right to make a complaint. Please contact your local Citizens Advice office to discuss your complaint.

If Central Dorset Citizens Advice is unable to resolve your complaint you can ask the Financial Ombudsman Service to investigate for you.

Full details of our complaints policy can be found at and details of the Financial Ombudsman Service can be found at