What is the Gambling Support Service?
The aim of our Gambling Support Service is to increase the awareness of gambling related harm by broadening people’s understanding and raising this as a public health issue which needs a collaborative approach to provide as many people with the help and support they needs as possible.
Our service has been commissioned by GambleAware – an independent charity which funds research, education and treatment services across Britain to help reduce gambling related harm.
What is Gambling-Related Harm?
Gambling-related harms are the adverse impacts from gambling on the health and wellbeing of individuals, families, communities and society; and can show in many ways – debt, violence, low self-esteem, breakdown of a relationship – the list goes on. In England and Wales, around 430,000 people have a gambling problem – and a further two million are at risk of developing one. Reports also tell us that 6-10 additional people can be directly affected by someone else’s gambling – raising the number of people who could be affected to as high as 4 million.
“It’s crucial that we promote the same public health approach to gambling harm as we have to drugs and alcohol. By normalising these conversations, we can work together to prevent further harm and ensure that those who need further support get timely access to it.”
Evan Hook, Gambling Support Service Project Lead
What do we do?
We work to reduce gambling related harm in three ways.
- Awareness – We work to raise awareness of gambling-related harm, providing information and advice to the public.
- Training – We offer bespoke education and training to organisations, and raise awareness of gambling related harm and the support services that are available. This support continues after the training to build the collaborative approach needed to tackle gambling-related harm.
- Support – Our Gambling Support Service provides further support, advice and guidance for those affected by gambling-related harm.
With the gambling industry growing each year, we recognise the need to improve awareness and understanding of this issue – as well as the support which is available for those affected.
How can I get involved?
If you would like to know more about the service, would like us to speak at one of your events or are interested in accessing our training – we don’t charge fees for any of our services, so please do get in touch using the contact form below. We look forward to hearing from you.
To find out more about help with gambling support
- Get gambling advice online with the Citizens Advice website or
- Get in touch with us using our Contact Form below.
Contact Form for the Gambling Support Service
If you would like to know more about the service, would like us to speak at one of your events or are interested in accessing our training please do get in touch using this contact form. We look forward to hearing from you and will get back to you as soon as we can.